In my, over 15 years, as a Real Estate Licensed Salesperson, I have witnessed, many real estate attorneys, and, how, some, harm the process/ deal (get in the way), while others, are, extremely valuable, to the successful process! I always, suggest, one choose a lawyer, who, specializes, in real estate law, so he is familiar with as many of the potential nuances, as possible, in this transaction period! Ideally, the individual, you choose, will protect your interests, but, be part of the solution, instead of, get, in the way, of the deal, by refusing to consider options, and alternatives, to achieve the objective. With, that in mind, this article will attempt to, briefly, consider, examine, review, and discuss, 5 things, you should demand, from the individual, you hire, to represent your interests (whether, buying or selling), because, for most of us, the value of their house, represents, their single – largest, financial asset.
1. Effective listening: If, you are searching, for the right person, it makes sense, to ask for a few recommendations, from people, who have been satisfied, by theirs! Briefly, interview, a few attorneys, and observe, whether the individual, is willing to effectively listen, to you, in order to better understand your true, personal needs, etc.
2. Hand – holding: There are, often, several stresses, and challenges, during the course of the transaction period! Seek a lawyer, who is, not, only, technically, knowledgeable, but, will hold – your – hand, throughout the entire, transaction process. Wouldn’t you, prefer, making this period, the least, stressful, as possible?
3. Protect you, but not, get in the way: While, is in, an attorney’s duty and responsibility, to protect you, and your interests, in an ethical, honest way, the person, you choose, should not, create challenges, which aren’t helpful, and/ or, needed! Discuss, thoroughly, what you seek and want, how much flexibility, you are willing to take, and, looks, to achieve these things, without, screwing – up, a deal, you wish, to take!
4. Thorough explanation: There should be no question, and/ or, concern, you have, which your attorney, won’t attempt, to thoroughly, answer, and explain, to your satisfaction (not, merely, his)! It should be his duty, to ensure, this process, goes, as smoothly, as possible!
5. Professionalism/ excellence: Don’t accept good – enough! Demand (because you deserve, and need), the highest degree of quality, professionalism, and true, excellence!
Carefully, choose the individual, who will best serve your interests, when selecting a real estate attorney! Doing so, often, saves you time, effort, and unnecessary challenges!