We realize, most potential buyers, initially, pay most attention, to the financial aspects of buying a house, such as: down – payments, and closing costs; qualifying for an affordable mortgage; real estate taxes; and, the probable costs of repairs, renovations, and upgrades! Next, buyers often, consider, the specific area (advantages and disadvantages), safety (actual, and/ or, perceived), conveniences, school system, etc. While these are essential, meaningful considerations, there are, also, at least, 6 other things, often – overlooked, prior to purchasing a specific house. In order to, truly, enjoy, one’s home, these considerations, in the longer – run, are, also, quite significant. With, that in mind, this article will attempt to, briefly, consider, examine, review, and discuss, 6 key areas, of consideration, wise home buyers, consider, form the onset.
1. Style of the house: There are many architectural styles, of residential houses. Each has specific advantages, and disadvantages, and, often, are key considerations. The most commonly, seen, are: Ranch; Cape; Split – Level; Colonial, etc. The key advantage of a Ranch – style, is, it is, on, one – floor! This, especially, appeals, to those, who do not wish to, or are challenged, climbing, up, and downstairs! However, it also means, bedrooms are located on the same floor, which may limit, the appeal, of the rest of the area! Houses, knows, as Capes, are, referred to, that, because, they, at one – point, were prevalent, in Cape Cod. Generally, the upstairs rooms, have slanted roofs, and unless, expanded, are, often, smaller rooms. They are often, selected, as starter – homes, because, they usually, are the least expensive, style! Many expand these, over – time, to increase its utility, etc! Split – level houses are generally, built, that way, to accommodate, the lay – of – the – land. Some enjoy this style, while others, do not! One usually goes – up, and/ or, down, a few steps, going from room – to – room! Traditionally, Colonial houses, are most popular, and cost the most. This form, generally, has the bedrooms, upstairs, and the entertainment, and dining areas, on the main floor!
2. Heating options: Although, all forms of heating options, may not be available, in all areas, the principal choices are: oil; gas; electric; solar; geo – thermal, etc, and/ or, some combination/ hybrid system. There are differences, in terms of costs, clean – air, ease – of – delivery; etc, so, consider, what you might be most comfortable, and happy, with!
3. Traditional, versus, modern design: Some issues, are based on, a buyer’s personal tastes and preferences. Would you prefer, a more traditional style, or a modern design? What features, etc, do you feel, are priorities, etc?
4. Number/ size of bedrooms: How many bedrooms do you need, and desire/ wish – for, to address, present, as well as foreseeable, future needs, etc? What size do you seek, and why? Specifically, look at the Master Bedroom, and ask, if, it will make you happy!
5. Bathrooms: How many bathrooms, do you wish for (for example, how about a Master Bath, etc), and are there any major necessities, and features, you seek? While, you can, often, renovate, consider costs, conveniences, personal tastes, needs, and personal priorities!
6. Kitchen options: What do you seek, in a kitchen? Does the space, provide, the ability, to make any necessary changes, to address, your wishes, etc?
Wise buyers should consider personal needs, priorities, and what, they seek and prioritize, in what, they will call, their home! Are you prepared, to pay keen attention, for your best interests?